Quotable Quote:

Who covets more, is evermore a slave. ~Robert Herrick

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Laying Hen Update: Tragedy in the Flock

One of the ways to provide our family with healthy food and practice self-sufficiency is to raise laying hens in our back yard. My homemade chicken coop/yard has worked out pretty well and it's been a journey of learning, work, and happy eating since we have been urban homesteaders.


In June the "flock" of hens that I acquired in 2008 was reduced by 1 to 2 . While I was on my trip to Atlantic City Anne, my favorite layer, died of unknown causes in the little chicken yard. (She used to eat out of my HAND!) Cecilie actually witnessed the death, which was traumatizing for her. 


So the question has been, what to do now? Two hens isn't really enough to provide enough eggs for our family, and it's irritating to have to BUY EGGS. Or beg them from my friends. Actually, 3 hens really wasn't even enough to supply us with eggs. (The number of family members living here keeps contracting and expanding. Mostly expanding.)

Cecilie suggested expanding the yard into the unused area under our deck. She and I spent an afternoon creating a new area and are ready to add a few more to our flock. 

Now to find them....


Addendum: I will be acquiring 3 or 4 more hens this very evening in Silverdale after the Ward Picnic. Boy will I have work to do today to get ready!!

3 comments:

Gayle Daly said...

I know you will uncover a fantastic hen through resourceful means.

Kristin said...

We lost another hen to a tragic death... a wolf. (We now have feathers all over our yard.) I ran into him Friday morning as he was coming back for more. We are now down to 10 hens laying only 2 eggs a day. Any idea why?

Lorraine Butler said...

That's TERRIBLE! I think when there's an upset the hens stop laying. I picked up the 4 new (to me) layers and get maybe, if I'm lucky, an egg a day from them. I am hoping things pick up a little before winter, or definitely in the spring. That seems a long time to wait, though. And a lot of feed. I am sorry for your loss and mess.