Quotable Quote:

Who covets more, is evermore a slave. ~Robert Herrick

Monday, April 20, 2009

Homeschool

Due to circumstances beyond my control, and some within my control, I have re-opened my homeschool, about 12 years after its initial closure. Silas is home learning some things he has missed in school. Our schedule is flexible, though he doesn't realize just how flexible we can be. I have done a bit of shopping for books and such, which has been fun and a bit harrowing. I haven't spent much time contemplating high school at home until now. What is it this kid needs to learn before joining the adult world? It's a big question that most of us get to leave to the professional teachers, administrators, and the student himself.

It is difficult for a child that has been in traditional school his entire life to wrap his head around some of the things that are new in a homeschool setting. You can't get away with just doing the minimum--there is a 1:1 teacher/student ratio here. Also, much of homeschool is-can be- self-initiated. If you want to get something done, hey, just get it done. You don't have to wait until tomorrow if it seems interesting to do it now. Another thing is that as long as you cover the basics (reading/English, math), you can do all manner of activity for enrichment. And finally, all day is school, whether it seems so or not. Cooking and cleaning can even count (however painful that may seem), along with music, movies, and working in the yard.

We have begun a unit on WWII. I though that might be an interesting place to start looking at history. Now, I don't have the best grasp on world history, since I missed it in high school because of changing schools and didn't need it or take it in college. As a matter of fact, a person can get by in this world without knowing anything about world history (like I do). So this unit is of interest to me in a way English and math are not, since I have a background including both of those subjects. I am not so sure Silas feels the same way, but he does like guns and calling me a coffee nazi.
You know, I have made valiant attempts to simplify my life. My favorite blog is one on the simple life, and oh, how I enjoy imagining and even incorporating simplicity into my life. Adding homeschool to the mix is in no way creating a more simple life. Homeschool does, however, bring me to the basics of my son's education. If I hadn't done this I would not have had a clue as to just what he has and is missing in the realm of his education. And, of course, my responsibility as a parent is first and foremost to teach my child. So much time has been lost!
Silas's life, however, is more simple in some ways with traditional high school out of the way for now. I'm not sure it's what he was looking for in life, but it is what it is.

2 comments:

Becky Blunt said...

Coffee nazi?
Want some catalogs with book ideas? I'm swamped with 'em.

Lorraine Butler said...

Coffee nazi: "No, son, we will not get a coffee maker."

Catalogs w/book ideas...hmmm. I don't want catalogs necessarily, but if you have a website you find particularly interesting and valuable for a very-behind 10th grader (or his mother), I would definitely look.