Quotable Quote:

Who covets more, is evermore a slave. ~Robert Herrick

Sunday, August 16, 2009

First 5K

Yesterday I ran in a community event for the first time in my life. I have been to many to support others in their running, but I have finally felt like doing one myself. The Race for Literacy, a fund-raiser for Kitsap Literacy Council, was a very small run, but had a very personal feeling to it. My good friend Melanie came to support me and run, too. Allan and Silas were waiting at the finish line, a total surprise. I finished under 35 minutes. Now I have a time to beat. Melanie is encouraging me to run in other 5Ks around the sound.

One interesting thing that we did after the run was visit the local author, Gregg Olsen, who was present for a book-signing as part of the event. He was so interesting! He had written a book I had read, called Starvation Heights, along with some fiction. He is also working on a book about a Bremerton murder in the 1990s. I love doing things like that with Melanie, because she asks questions that I would never think to ask.

I feel good about running that hilly course, happy about the event, and hopeful that more interesting and fulfilling things are ahead for me.

ADDENDUM 8-17-09: I received a call from Kitsap Literacy's Kay this morning informing me that I "ran off" before the awards and that I had received a ribbon and book. I stopped by the center and picked up my third place ribbon and copy of a compilation of short stories, signed by Gregg Olsen, one of the contributors. I came in third in my age group! One of the big plusses of running in a small race, I guess.

No comments: