Quotable Quote:

Who covets more, is evermore a slave. ~Robert Herrick

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Volunteers and Surprises


These johnny-jump-ups popped up out of nowhere in the rose garden.

Have you ever had the chance to do meaningful work for no money? Besides within your family? This past year I have delivered groceries and/or frozen meals to the disabled in my community once a week, along with tutoring a lovely young mother from Thailand in English. I have met a great group of people through the food program, both needy/disabled and other drivers. And the literacy/ESL work has been really interesting and fun. It has made the world seem like a smaller place. We are all so alike.
Along with my volunteering, I have worked my little yard hard. Last year I took out an invasive rose bush, which had little pink blossoms on it (before I took it out). I took some cuttings of it and stuck them in some pots, since those little flowers had been so lovely, and in the spring set them in the newly formed rose garden in front of the house. And look at this! The first to bloom! It makes me feel like I have a real green thumb.


The other day while watering the garden, the little greengage plum tree I planted last year caught my attention. It has a beautiful form, though a few of the leaves are holey from pests I found in springtime. The tree had some blossoms, but no fruit formed. As I was enjoying the sight of the little tree I spotted an actual plum there. No pressure, now, little fruit.

Strolling/trolling in the back yard one evening I lamented all the work that needs to be done back there. This summer has been particularly dry, and I have waited for moisture to plough up the beds I am preparing for herbs and flowers. Then at the border, on the grass side that needs trimming very badly, among all the dandelions, I spotted not one but two tiny volunteer rose bushes. How did they get there? Have they always been here and have just been mowed regularly? They are many feet from the (possible) original bush, which is now gone. Who knows? Today they will find themselves in their new potted homes in the front rose garden.
The cooler weather has arrived, and I love soaking in the refreshing, moist air. Plants that need cold, like lettuce and greens I need to plant for fall and winter harvest, will love this next few days. Will my melons fruit if our sunny days are limited? Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Frank and Julie said...

Loved your pictures of the flowers in your yard.
Thanks so much for sharing your site with me.
I promise to visit often, dear friend.

Lorraine Butler said...

Thanks, Julie.