Quotable Quote:

Who covets more, is evermore a slave. ~Robert Herrick

Monday, May 3, 2010

Census Update

Okay. This has happened twice. We have gone out for Chinese food, and got to the fortune cookie stage. Here was mine, this last time: "Real fortune is being heard. U.S. Census."

Then my real fortune was on the other side. (It's irrelevant.)

Okay, I am all for the census and everything, and have enjoyed searching through census records from the past. I have found wonderful and interesting things about people, even my own people all over the country. In fact, when it comes to the 1930 Census, I have a cool story.

My great grandparents lived in New York City at the time. I searched the records and found my great grandmother and her children who were at home, but no great grandfather. That was weird to me. Then later I found the whole family, including both Frederick and Agnes, the parents, and their youngest children living in Los Angeles. The father had gone ahead, and the mother and children joined him later (they had sailed through the Panama Canal, and on the boat my grandma Jessie and her sister had entertained passengers with their soft-shoe). I talked to Allan about this, and his reaction was, "They skewed the data!"

But, I digress. I find the marketing for this year's census strange. Chinese fortune cookies with an ad for the census is over the top for me, especially since I have already filled my form out and mailed it away. What do you think??

2 comments:

Travis said...

for the census, not for the census fortune cookies...

Frank and Julie said...

What an interesting story from your family history. I don't know why it took me so long to become a follower of your blog. Keep it comin!
Congrats to Silas. He deserves congrations.
Way to stick it out with him and never give up on him. You're a great Mommy.