Quotable Quote:

Who covets more, is evermore a slave. ~Robert Herrick

Monday, July 12, 2010

Nursery Nugget

We have a number of new nursery kids coming in the next few months. I was talking to one mom about not seeing or visiting with her very often, and I said, "Well, T. is coming into the nursery in a few months, then maybe I will get to see you once in a while." "But THAT'S not until November," she exclaimed. Funny how something that seems just around the corner to a harried and ready-to-be-inundated-by-6-more-toddlers nursery worker is a long ways away for a harried mother-of-a-busy-toddler-dreaming-of-enjoying-a-church-meeting-in-peace.

Our busiest, most controversial nursery girl moved to Brownsville ward, so our space is a bit more (...how do I say this...?) mellow. We had only one little boy among the girls all this year until rather recently, and now we have 2 more (and a bunch on the way). K. plays mostly by himself and is super-easy. He has 2 big sisters at home, so I think it's a relief to be without them. And then there's G. What enthusiasm, what energy! When it's time to go, he throws an absolute fit--he doesn't want to leave! He grabbed onto my legs and just cried yesterday. I had to point out that all the other kids were gone, they toys were locked up, and the snacks no longer existed. Finally, he took his mom's hand and let her take him to the car.

Isn't it nice that someone likes a church class so much he doesn't want to leave it? Have you ever felt that way?

3 comments:

Sara said...

HAHA your right Lorraine, November does seem like a long way away right now! It's funny that when all my kids turned 1 year I calculated the day they can go into nursery. Yet when they actually go into nursery I miss them and the "baby" time together, and we always start talking about if we are going to have another baby! Hopefully when number 4 goes into nursery in Novemeber I will truly enjoy MY time!

Becky Blunt said...

Here's a CTR 5 nugget for you--when we talked about "feeding the hungry" as a way to follow the Savior, one boy had a puzzled look. When I inquired, he shared his perception that it meant we had to hold the spoon and scoop the food into someone's mouth. When I explained that it just meant making sure that someone had enough food to eat, by maybe sharing some of hours with them, he was visibly relieved! It had been so perplexing to him! What a dear. What we teach is so often not what is perceived by a young person with smaller experience.

Frank and Julie said...

It must make you feel so needed! You are making a great difference these children's lives. I love nursery. I'd rather have that calling than Ward Missionary.