Quotable Quote:

Who covets more, is evermore a slave. ~Robert Herrick

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Books I've Read Lately

I saw this book in the bookstore on Bainbridge Island and thought the cover was so funny! A donut with a fuse.... I requested it from the library and it came pretty quick. Does that mean others aren't that interested in a book about self-control? I'm not sure.

One thing that was intriguing to me was that it said that children don't learn self-control in our modern American lifestyle, with electronics as babysitters and every hour scheduled with lessons, sports, and clubs. The author stated that back in the olden days, like when I was a child, kids learned self-control through free play.

 This was a quick little fictional account of two women, mother and daughter. The mom was from Japan, and married an American serviceman and moved to the US. The daughter, after the mother begged practically from her deathbed, went with her own young daughter to Japan to reconcile with the family the mother left behind.

I found the book charming and difficult to put down. It took just a day and a half to read!
This was about how much food is wasted in our country. Do you have a kid who has worked in fast food? Or any part of the food industry? They will know what the author is talking about. In a way it's disturbing to think about people being hungry in our communities, country, and world, when so much perfectly edible food becomes garbage. Restaurants, school lunch programs, harvesting practices, marketing and other food arenas are all addressed in this interesting work.

This made me more aware of what I can do to not waste so much in my own home, and which food-waste issues may be most important to me.

What have you been reading lately?

4 comments:

Gayle Daly said...

I just read "The Noticer" by Andy Andrews. It's a short read, but really good. Thanks for your recommendations. :)

Gayle Daly said...

I just read "The Noticer" by Andy Andrews. It's a short read, but very good. Thanks for the recommendations.

KariMarie said...

Yes, thank you for the recommendations. I was just telling my mom that I need to pick up a book but not sure what.

KariMarie said...

Not just pick it up, but read it too. ;-P