Quotable Quote:

Who covets more, is evermore a slave. ~Robert Herrick

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Infant Gift-Giving on a Budget

I am being invited to many baby showers right now, for some reason. Many of my young friends are multiplying!! I love these parties, but it can be expensive and sometimes limited if you simply look through the register (if there is one) and get something on the list. I have loved receiving hand-made gifts, and give those whenever I can. Right now, with our gift-giving allocation in the budget at about zero, it's a great time to brush up on my hand-making skills and make the shower gifts for friends' babies.


A young mom told me how much she liked some hand-knit washcloths I had given her in the past, which made me feel like my little bit of trouble was appreciated and the gift was actually useful. In the past couple months I have made some flannel blankets with crochet edging [modified from http://sewchic.blogspot.com/2007/07/crocheted-edge-blanket-tutorial.html ] . Pretty easy and fun, and I thought very cute, too. (A great friend of mine made these many years ago, and I was thoroughly disappointed not to get one when I had my last baby!) Also in my repertoire have been burp cloths, of which Mom can never have enough. Not really a keepsake novelty, but practical and (possibly) cute nonetheless. Bibs are another reliable standby. Even sweet toys are beginning to pop up on my radar.

What do you enjoy giving as baby gifts? What is the favorite gift you received when your babies were born?  

5 comments:

Gayle Daly said...

The crocheted edge receiving blankets are the BEST. I loved mine. I only had one. I am just so happy you are coming to the shower.

Doranda said...

I like it when people have girl babies because then I can make bows for them. As far as receiving goes I love to get anything especially useful hand made things.

KRad said...

I'm a sentimental sap - so hand made gifts are my favorites! All my kiddos have a favorite blanket - each was a handmade gift from someone different. As far as giving I like to give something I would use if it was me. Another favorite of mine is bibs that Lynette Schaser gave me (made by her MIL)

Frank and Julie said...

I like to give burp cloths and receiving blankets. I am a stockpile of both for babies being born this year.

onesillyme said...

Honestly, the best baby shower gift I recieved was a "gift certificate" for babysitting (times 2!) my first night out after the twins were born.