Quotable Quote:

Who covets more, is evermore a slave. ~Robert Herrick

Monday, February 16, 2009

Fostering a Feline


Well, I am not sure I ever posted anything about this on my blog, but I vowed after putting my kitty Nirvana to sleep at Thanksgiving time I was going to swear off cats. So much for that! Silas came to me a few weeks ago and asked if we could take in his friend Sean's cat.

It's sad what's happening with Sean; his mother is suffering from liver failure and needs a transplant. They are "giving up" their home of 15 years, their car, and Ma is now living in a nursing home. Imagine, a nursing home at 58! Sean has moved in with his older sister, and there is nowhere for their kitty-cat, Clyde. How could I say no to that?

Clyde is living at our house now, and he is quite the foster feline. He has some issues! He's needy. He suffers from separation anxiety, even when it's just separation from Allan or Silas or me. He is an indoor-outdoor cat, so he comes and goes kind of as he pleases. He's used to hanging out in the house and wandering at will, like haunting the counters of the kitchen and getting drinks out of the sink or faucet. The most surprising thing he does, though, is suck his arm! (I know a cat's front leg is not an arm, but it acts like one and that's how we all describe it.) Now, I am the mother of a few long-term thumb-suckers, but a 6-year-old cat who sucks his arm for hours each day is another thing completely. And when Clyde is doing his self-comforting behavior, he likes to be right next to someone (me, usually in this case, though he prefers Allan), and is his happiest when you are petting his head at the same time. If you dare to stop, he looks up, somewhat outraged, and meows in protest.

He is the most beautiful cat I have ever had, next to Nirvana, of course. He is actually sweet, now that I am used to having a cat in the house again. Sean and his mom have made it clear that when her health improves (she's hoping for a transplant), Clyde will be going back to their house, wherever that may be. In the meantime, I have a new child!

No comments: