Quotable Quote:

Who covets more, is evermore a slave. ~Robert Herrick

Sunday, October 18, 2009

The 50 Things Project

Yesterday I read The 50 Things Project and decided to give it a try. I have been collecting things lately, a pastime when I am feeling stressed out. Maybe compulsion is a better word. But the time has come to, once again, purge. The object of the project is to "Just get rid of fifty things that are serving no purpose in your life." When Kate described this, I get the impression she was talking about stuff around the house and yard, but I am hoping to get rid of less tangible things, too, like maybe a lousy attitude about something or other. So, for the next few weeks, look for my list of 50 things, which will start tomorrow.

I just began cleaning out my closet, because a friend handed me down some beautiful suits I couldn't pass up. Since that was last week, though, I won't count my beginning closet emptying as one or more of the 50 things. One of the things I am the happiest about is a little purse that I have gotten much use out of, but that is becoming frayed and is actually too small for my needs. I have kept it more for sentimental reasons than anything else. Goodbye!

Also this past week I posted like 20 books on paperbackswap.com, where I trade books. Already I have had requests to send out 4 books--a great way to get rid of stuff. The only drawback is that I tend to order and receive as many books as I send out, so it may not actually be in the spirit of The 50 Things Project. Although, in all honesty, I do use some of them as gifts. It is, however, nice to realize I don't need to hang on to every book on my shelves. Now, I won't count the previously posted books from paperbackswap as one or some of my 50 things, but other books I find new homes or uses for I will count.

Wish me well on my journey. Would any of you care to join me on your own?

1 comment:

Allan Butler said...

Looraine,
I'll join you in your 50 Things Project - only I want to do my own 50 things - not to count your successes as mine. The big question I have is - how long are you given to get rid of the 50 things? I assume it is not a NET 50 things - meaning, if you bring something home it subtracts from the number you got rid of...
I love you and your determination to simplify your life.
Allan