Quotable Quote:

Who covets more, is evermore a slave. ~Robert Herrick

Monday, October 26, 2009

Autumn

Our Northwest weather is wet and cool, reminding me every day lately that it is definitely autumn. Our wonderful maple in the front yard has been reflecting brightness into the living room as it does every year, making it seem as if the sun is out, even if it's not. The leaves are mostly a vivid yellow, and they were littering the yard and street before I raced outside to rake most of them up when the rain let up earlier today. My compost pile is beautifully covered with colorful leaves and topped with the dozen red roses that Allan surprised me with week before last, which are spent.

My 50 Things Project continues. It is surprising what are coming out of the cobwebs to find homes elsewhere. It is also amazing what I have kept and what I can live without. Pet food dishes? Really!

Since I have rid this house of the first and most obvious layers of unnecessaries, the challenge becomes more...challenging. I have some general ideas of where to look for more opportunities to let go. I am finding that if I am open, things just come to me. Something I never would have predicted is now happening: There is room on my shelves where books used to be. Not tons of room or anything, just space on each shelf where books are actually leaning, not jammed into soldier-straightness. So exciting!

This is like spring cleaning, only the opposite time of year. Could this be a new tradition?

No comments: