Quotable Quote:

Who covets more, is evermore a slave. ~Robert Herrick

Friday, January 1, 2010

Eleven Boxes

I have a great friend named Bea. We met when I noticed she got off at my same bus stop and walked into my neighborhood when I was ferrying to Seattle in 2006. She sat toward the end of the boat where I sat on the way home, and one day we began chatting after our work day. Our conversations on the 5:30 PM ferry became very important to me, and Bea is simply one of my favorite people. I walk with her to her bus stop most work mornings at 5:30, because otherwise I know I would never get a chance to visit.

Bea is from Honduras, born to a German father and Honduran mother. She is around 66, and works full time as a legal secretary in a downtown Seattle office. She commutes 5 days a week (which is very demanding), is healthy and full of energy, is positive and interesting, and is a great role model. She was widowed about 12 years ago, and lives with her daughter and son-in-law and 2 grandchildren.

We have had many conversations about life and people, shared recipes and favorite reads, and observed many fascinating people who would ride the ferry. One of my favorite, most memorable talks we had, though, was when we discussed owning things and moving. You see, after her husband passed away while they were living in New Orleans (pre-Katrina, of course), she needed to decide where she was going to spend the next few years. Bea decided (upon invitation, I'm sure) to spend some time living with her only 2 grandchildren. She thought out her move, and determined to pack very light. She got rid of all her furniture, and even gave her car to a nephew. Everything she felt inspired to keep was packed up in boxes and sent to her daughter's home. She then walked on the plane with her allotted 2 suitcases of clothes and 2 carry on bags. And, all in all, she shipped only 11 boxes of possessions here to Washington.

This has amazed me since I have heard about it. Eleven boxes! "What could have been in those boxes," I wondered to myself. I even asked her the next day on the ferry, and she told me blankets and towels and stuff. "What about photos?" She told me, "I have one of my husband, and I gave all the rest to my 2 daughters. Why do I need photos when I have the real things?" In this world of scrapbooking it is indeed astounding to imagine, much less encounter, someone who doesn't "do" photos!

I have thought many times about those 11 boxes. When my husband and I go on our mission(s), could we fit our things in 11 boxes each? Could I "give away all that [I] have"? What exactly would I put in 11 boxes and ship to the rest of my life?

How about you? What would be in 11 boxes of your most precious possessions?

11 comments:

Kristin said...

Photos....

Kristin said...

Photos....

Becky Blunt said...

What, indeed?
Until I have a better answer, I have another question to ponder, based on Bea's comment about "having the real thing:"
I wonder why we hang onto images of things? I do it. Is it healthy? What is the purpose of it? Why are images so important?

Lorraine Butler said...

Allan says it's because our memory fades and there are certain things we don't want to forget. As for me, I don't know. I do know that images aren't as important to me as to others. Will all my family photos go in my 11 boxes, or will I give them all away first??

BTW, when will you be adding more interesting stuff to your blog, Becky??

Allan Butler said...

Here is what Allan would put in his eleven boxes:
Assumptions: I would not need to pack food or water and I would be wearing one complete set of clothes.

Boxes 1 and 2: Seven days of clothing – including a full set of Sunday clothes and shoes, and winter coat, hat and gloves.

Box 3: Bedding – one set of sheets, pillowcase, one small pillow, and comforter

Box 4: Kitchen – Non-breakable plates, cup, and silverware; Cooking pot, pan, and utensils; Knives and cutting board; Cleaning kit and matches.

Box 5: Bathroom – Towels (2), wash cloth, roll of toilet paper, shaving kit, and first aid kit.

Box 6: Office – Laptop computer, printer, paper, pens, and pencils

Box 7: Library – Scriptures, reference books, a few not-yet read novels

Box 8: Camping Equipment – Camp stove, flashlights; hand saw, Dutch oven, hatchet, pocket knife

Box 9: Filing cabinet – All important papers – birth certificates, death certificates, insurance papers, school and military records, etc.

Box 10: Keepsakes – Small things I want to keep for family history

Box 11: Entertainment – Games and gaming equipment – baseball glove, tennis racket and balls, etc.

Lorraine Butler said...

How wonderful. It looks as if we are all ready to leave our home for a mission right now.

Don't forget, Honey, that you'd have 2 suitcases in addition to those 11 boxes....

Engineers. Don't you love 'em?

Travis said...

Most of my life is digital. Photos, music, movies and docs would go on a hard drive in one box.

I think it's so cool you meet people on purpose.

Lorraine Butler said...

Yeah I met her on purpose: One of the first times I saw her she was reading The Brothers Karamazov--and her first language isn't even English! You may have even met her on purpose.

Becky Blunt said...

Maybe I'll add something tomorrow, when I score the Carl Sandburg question from the tests of my second crop of Language Arts students!

Frank and Julie said...

Do you think I could fit my piano in one of those boxes? How large of boxes were they anyway? Does anyone know!??

Lorraine Butler said...

Julie, I get the impression Bea's boxes were about the size of, oh, maybe a Weyerhouser paper box. She doesn't have your fabulous talent, and therefore no piano.