Quotable Quote:

Who covets more, is evermore a slave. ~Robert Herrick

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Handling Growing Older with Grace

         Lorraine, Age 51
I took my teenage son to breakfast recently. Never one to shy away from an opportunity to tell his mother the truth about herself, he commented on the horrible bags under my eyes. Upon checking in the wall/mirror there next to me at the restaurant, I noted that, indeed, he spoke the truth. Ouch! And, of course, the crowning blow: The Senior Discount. At the register I checked the check, calculated the tip, and when I received the final receipt noticed that the total (before tip) was lower than the original check. "No, I don't actually qualify for any discounts." The hostess laughed. "Well, you're saving a dollar today!"

I choose to keep my life simple by staying with my current natural hair color, and using minimal cosmetics. What do you think? And when does one become a "Senior?"

4 comments:

KariMarie said...

They say you're only as old as you feel. Do you feel that senior discount? And we've always been told "it doesn't matter what's on the outside, it matters what's on the in".....with that said, you are beautiful!!!

Gayle Daly said...

I think you handle everything with grace. It's a reflection that I believe says you love yourself for the way you are and who you are. Thank you for bringing a chuckle to my morning. What's the option? You're the best Lorraine! Silas is a dweeb.

Sara said...

I agree with Kari - your only as old as you feel. You are an amazing and talented lady. You are inspiring and you have a great attitude. You are BEAUTIFUL and more importantly you are HEALTHY! Which is always way more important than looks!!!

onesillyme said...

You look like Lorraine to me. Neither young nor old, just you and pretty wonderful. As for the hair color, I'm getting more salt than pepper by the minute. If the subject comes up I state that the grey gives me credibility with the seniors I work with, and a comforting grandma vibe with the younger ones! (Real answer: I have neither time nor money to blow on dye.)