Quotable Quote:

Who covets more, is evermore a slave. ~Robert Herrick

Monday, July 28, 2014

Dealing with Childhood Trauma 2: Homemade Yogurt


A few weeks ago I stumbled upon a yogurt maker at the thrift store, and bought it. Along with homemade sourdough bread, homemade yogurt was another of my mother's inventions during the back-to-basics phase of my younger years. Enough said about that. Since I have been eating whole-milk Greek yogurt with fruit in the morning, I thought it was time to try it out myself.

Well, I have learned the hard way that a product is only as good as its ingredients. I studied the yogurt-maker directions and bought some organic whole milk and pressed forward with my yogurty plans.

The instructions said you can keep the stuff in the maker 4-10 hours. I tried it for 4 hours, it was delicious and just a little runny. Last time it was more like 9 hours, and it was fantastic. I thaw out my frozen fruit, put a couple of dollops of yogurt on top, with maybe some granola sprinkled over. 

You may see the recipe on my online cookbook at http://myfamilyrecipes.livejournal.com/ 

No comments: