Quotable Quote:

Who covets more, is evermore a slave. ~Robert Herrick

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Home for the Future

Over the winter Allan and I visited his mother in Toppenish, WA in Yakima County. She lives in a tiny city, right on the edge of town, practically across the street from some farmland. Right now the air is fragrant with mint! (It's generally fragrant with something, and mint is a real pleasure compared to fertilizer.)

The house next door came up for sale because the previous resident, Alma, passed away at 98 years old. I suggested we buy it and rent it to a family until we're ready to retire in 9 or so years. So we did! It is just the thing we had been hoping to do here on the west side of the Cascades, but haven't been able to. This way we'll be nearby if his mother needs us, but not in her home or she in ours. Unlike my humungous extended family, Allan's family is quite small and the support for Grandma is limited. 

The sale was final on June 17, and we went over, cleaned it up, and rented it. Our craigslist ad drew about 20 calls in the first 3 hours, so we took it down at around noon. There aren't enough rentals in Toppenish for the people who need homes. We are feeling very blessed. 




2 comments:

Gayle Daly said...

I first saw your post today during my lunch at work. My iPad is dysfunctional so I couldn't make any comments. I love your new place. The kitchen is the best. It reminds me of Florence Eldredge's kitchen. So homey and welcoming. I will finish my comments on your next blog post.

Frank and Julie said...

So glad you bought that house. A,great home in which to retire. Frank and I are moving to a rental home with Brent and Azzlinn in May 2015. He is trying to get a internship in Occupational Therapy at Providence hospital in Everett.
They are in Hillsboro, Ore for Grad School.
They need the help with rent so they can get a home with 4 bedrooms. Downstairs will be our place. I will be able to plant a garden. She is having another girl end of Nov so they need a fenced yard instead of apt.
If Frank or I die, the other will have a place to live.
And we have a registerd nurse and Occupationl Therapist.
Feeling kinda sad we have to leave Mill Creek ward. Just got called as Choir Director. Sad I got rid of all my choral music when I downsized.