Quotable Quote:

Who covets more, is evermore a slave. ~Robert Herrick

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

One Hundred Things

Allan and I have been talking for the last year or two about downsizing, meaning finding a way to live in less space with fewer things. In order to do something like this, we need to get rid of some of our many possessions now. So, once again, I am getting rid of 100 things.

As you know, I have done this before. In fact, I have done it several times. But, since I have done it several times, it's time to cut just a little bit deeper. And I now have the perfect excuse: the Toppenish House, or TopHouse, as we refer to it. TopHouse has a modest kitchen, 2 small bedrooms, and a finished attic containing 2 rooms. There is very little storage space, meaning we will have to either not store so many things or create more storage. I prefer the “not store so many things” option. Plus, this means when it's time to move we won't have as much to move. Win-win!

I will keep a running list of the number and type of things I am getting rid of, so stay tuned. 

How about you? Do you have a plan for de-cluttering? Or do you have the luxury of plenty of room and storage space? How do you manage your possessions, your hobby materials, your clothing and linens, your tools and kitchen things? 
[Here they are, my 100 Things: 5 shirts; 1 pr capris; 2 jeans; 2 sweaters; 1 blouse; 1 formal dress; 2 cookbooks; 1 sign (total: 15) 1 shirt, 1 pants, 1 pkg decorative baggies, 2 bottles, box, stack papers, bubble wrap, another stack papers, 5 egg cartons, 3 trinkets, bag of shopping bags, 2 shirts, 6 books, door handle, 12 jars, banana box (total 55) ferry schedule, stack of papers, 4 boxes, fencing, 4 hankies/rags, 8 underclothing, toaster, cd, 6 bottles, cosmetics container, act fluoride rinse exp date 2004 (really!), 3 more egg cartons, first aid container, 2 expired ointments, stethoscope, 2 coats, snowsuit, almond crumbs, plastic bin, air pump, kitty litter scooper, banana box, 4 magazines. Over 100 things in 8 days (July 2-July 10)!]

1 comment:

Gayle Daly said...

It's funny that you should post this topic. I was having one of those moods today....I won't go into the details, but I thought to myself...if Fred were to die...what would I do. I would sell everything except I would take all the of my children pictures, my grandmother's china and anything of my mom's, move in with Shannon or a retirement furnished place, buy a brand new little zoom car and call it good. So I totally agree with you and Allan downsizing to the bare bones so you will fit nicely into your new home. We don't need stuff. I can tell you that right now. We still have stuff and it just sits and takes up room. We have rooms still full of stuff that hasn't been touched in a year by the way that we haven't touched. So do we need it? I think not. You go girl!