Quotable Quote:

Who covets more, is evermore a slave. ~Robert Herrick

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Disappointment


I have been training since the end of December for the STP, a 2-day, 204 mile bicycle ride from Seattle to Portland. As a Christmas gift to myself I had my bike tuned up and assessed for fitness for the long ride. I had lost a bunch of weight and really toned up through riding and walking. I had hundreds of miles behind me in training rides, with friends from my old job and by myself. Hills weren't my friends yet or anything, but I was learning to face them with faith in my ability to make it to the tops. And, although things didn't go too well on the last big ride I went on 2 weeks before the big event, I was looking forward to the 2 days of getting myself, under my own power, to Portland, no matter how slowly I paced myself compared to my friends or other riders.

Sadly, this year the STP is not in the cards for me. Twelve days before the ride I sustained an injury to my ankle while smelling the roses on my way to the first walk of the day. Smelling the roses! As I fell in the gutter in front of the beautiful display of various sweet-fragranced flowers in my neighborhood, my dream of riding slipped away. Along with the big ride, my hopes for continuing my 2 daily walks, possibly training for shorter triathlons, and continuing the fitness and weight loss pursuits evaporated.

After I spent a couple hours crying and feeling sorry for myself, I decided that this is an opportunity to do some different things this summer than I had planned, and that's not all bad. The main thing would be to do my very best at allowing the ankle to heal properly. This would involve staying off the foot, taking it easy, and staying away from the stresses of fitness activities that had been so enjoyable.

Another decision was to continue strengthening exercises and counting calories so that the weight loss and muscle building would continue. Time with Silas, who is with me through the summer, would be easier to come by with my body on the couch full time. And, since a 15-year-old kid really doesn't want to spend every minute of the day bonding with his mother, I knew there would be time now for doing some reading and home projects that have been neglected since I have been training so much.

So, this blog is my attempt to connect with myself and others, and to log my progress in making lemonade out of this sprained ankle.

No comments: