Quotable Quote:

Who covets more, is evermore a slave. ~Robert Herrick

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Locally Grown Food


I have always loved to vegetable garden, but I'm not too good at it. I'm not sure why. I love fresh food, especially when I've grown it myself. But, although I say I love to garden and eat the produce, I don't think I am a very good gardener, and I don't have much success.

Sometimes I don't have a real great area to sow and reap. Deep down I don't believe that, because I feel like if you have a little piece of land, you can create miracles. Other times I think I'm just lazy, or lose interest. For instance, this year the weather wasn't cooperative during spring and even early summer. I planted my seeds, which had been ordered in January, and waited for something to happen. The radishes did come up. (I have decided I don't like radishes, home grown or otherwise.) One little planter with bush beans, pumpkins, and zucchini looks great, but the rest of the "garden" is pathetic. I really should put pictures up as proof, and I may.

Yesterday I did some cleanup and planted more seeds, and hopefully I will reap what I have sown, if the weather cooperates. These long sunny days should be just the thing. If I water. And feed. And weed. And keep it up.

I have made a wonderful discovery, however. I profess to buy food locally, and invested in Community Supported Agriculture (CSA), which is a subscription to a local farm. My CSA farm is just 4 miles away from my home. For our investment our family receives a bag of locally produced farm fresh organic vegetables each week for 20 weeks. Because of the weather, the startup was slow, but now we have more beautiful green food in the fridge than even my best gardening attempts have delivered in the past.

And although my veggie garden is important to me, I am grateful to actually be able to enjoy the locally grown food I say I want to purchase and eat.

To find out about the farm I subscribe to, click here.

No comments: