Quotable Quote:

Who covets more, is evermore a slave. ~Robert Herrick

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Summer Vacation

My vacation options are limited this summer, and I haven't been able to do much traveling. Yesterday, though, I had the chance to ferry to Seattle with my parents, who are visiting from sunny southern California, and my daughter who made a special detour to be with us. We spent a couple hours at Pike Place Market, enjoying the crowds of good-natured tourists and shops and sights there. Since I used to work in the city, and even had desk space at the market, I showed them some of my favorite places, and learned some new things along the way.

One thing I learned was that the famous pig, where I meet people (and I am not the only one!) is named Rachel the Pig. Another new thing was that the office I left in January on Western is no longer part of Pike Market Medical Clinic. My sweet memories of and experiences with colleagues, clients, and coworkers there are all that are left. One last thing I re-learned was that Pike Market is still terrific, a fun place to visit, shop, people-watch, eat, listen, breathe in, and enjoy live music. It was a feast for the senses, a breezy lovely day to be a tourist.

I savored a cheesy onion roll from the wonderful Russian bakery. We all passed the Creamery and pointed out the wide variety of fresh eggs I used to hand-pick to bring home after work. My very favorite place to visit at Pike, though, is the little rummage sale just past the kitchen shop. I don't know what drives that corner of the market, or who runs it, or how it comes to be where it is, but it's really my sweet spot. And it didn't let me down! I am, after all, a recycling junkie, and can't pass up tables of others' wares without taking a peek.

I wasn't planning to buy anything, as I really never am, but I couldn't resist a little quilt top, backing, and fabric for binding. Cecilie paid for it and pronounced us good. I think it will be my grandma quilt, and it will wait for a little one to come over and use it. I will always remember the pleasant time I had with my folks there, and that precious visit to the market.

No comments: