Quotable Quote:

Who covets more, is evermore a slave. ~Robert Herrick

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

My First Real Loaf of Sourdough

Ingredients:

¼ c sourdough starter
1 C warm water
2 T sugar
1 t salt
2 T oil
3 ¼ C flour

Combine all ingredients. Knead until smooth. Let rise, covered, in warm place until doubled.
I sprayed a medium-sized bowl with pan spray, and sprayed the top of the loaf. Then I put a plate on top of the bowl. I placed the bowl in a barely-warm oven, where both rises took place. I did need to re-warm the oven a few times.
This rise took about 6 hours, and I really couldn't tell it had risen at all! But I trusted that it had, and when I punched it down, there were gas/air bubbles popping every now and then. I may try this first rise overnight next time.
Punch down. Shape into round loaf. Let rise until doubled.
This I did in a sprayed 7” round pan. I also sprayed the dough with pan spray, and loosly covered the loaf with plastic wrap.
This second rise ended up going 7 hours. I was about to go to bed and realized I had better bake whatever had come to be in the oven. I peeked in, and the loaf had risen into a neat little round.
Slash crust. Bake at 375 degrees 45 minutes.
I slashed my crust in four parallel stripes. The loaf baked up and became a little oblongated. I think I will slash in a cross shape next time.
Forty-five minutes was too long. I baked it for about 30 minutes, and noticed the top getting nice and brown and ready-looking, but the bottom looked underdone. I pulled the loaf out of the pan, lowered the rack, placed the loaf directly on the rack, and baked it for 5 more minutes.

Too bad it was 11:00 when that loaf came out! It smelled sooo good. I had some for breakfast the next morning. It sliced very nicely and tasted absolutely heavenly, even cold and with just a tiny bit of spread.
I didn't proof my starter before I started out, which may explain why the rising took so long. I have to plan ahead to do this, so I think I will begin everything the day before I expect a loaf of bread. Take the starter out of the fridge and bring it to room temp; add the requisite flour and warm water; let it bubble for a while; begin the process of the first rise; go to bed; get up, punch down, set in pan, get set for second rise, bake, and enjoy by lunchtime. Mmm, mmm.

Now, homemade sourdough bread and I have a history, but that story is for another day.

No comments: