Quotable Quote:

Who covets more, is evermore a slave. ~Robert Herrick

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The Simple Life

Disclaimer: Keep in mind this is MY philosophy, and my husband and children do not always support or agree with my crazy ways.

Michael Schut has said, “What we buy, how we eat, and our means of transportation are...votes that can move us toward or away from abundant living.” I like to think that these also propel us closer to or farther away from the simple life as well. In my adult life I have worked to create a simpler life for my family and me using this philosophy.


Now, don't get me wrong: Simple is far from easy. Simple is another way I look at the personal back-to-basics movement I enjoy finding myself in as I navigate this world and my life. I have no idea where it all began or where I developed my ideas, but I can say my family of origin (yes, including my eccentric mother) had part in it, too.

I grew up in a home where we didn't fill up every day with soccer practice, music lessons, or scouts. Mom's hands were full with our large family and there was enough for her to do without the added stress of driving us around or being a team mother. We learned to read, play, cook and bake, do all sorts of needlework and crafts, and, finally, get along with neighbors, both young and older. This was a wonderful foundation for the life I live now.

What We Buy
My personal philosophy around buying stuff is pretty simple. We buy clothes, shoes, books, and other things we use secondhand either at thrift or antique stores or online through Craigslist or Ebay, unless we make them instead. I especially like trading for things, like at paperbackswap.com, or simply giving my extra things to someone who needs them. Shopping is not a way to pass the time, and buying things is not something for which to set aside time unless there is a need. When I acquire things I try to make sure to buy reusable, such as cloths rather than paper towels, and things like that. I must say we buy new, generally, for gifts and Christmas, unless we give homemade. We have acquired skills like needlework and woodworking, and have plenty of great tools and materials to support our hobbies and habits.

How We Eat
We are working on eating locally by growing our own and saving seeds, shopping close to home at smaller, locally run establishments, and by raising our own laying hens. We live in a modest suburban neighborhood and can't keep other animals, and I am searching for a local source for fresh milk. We bought a quarter of a grass-fed local beef, and that has been wonderful. Shopping at the local farmer's markets or purchasing a share in CSA have been part or our food habits as well. I store/stockpile basic food, including whole grains, and cook mostly from scratch. Why go to the store for bread or cookies when I can bake them here? I can't say this for every member of the family, but meals and snacks are better for us and yummier when they are fresh and homemade, and don't fill our garbage can to overflowing each week with rubbish.


Our Means of Transportation

We tend to drive beaters. We own a 1990 Ford truck, a 1987 Camry wagon, and a 1979 Mercedes (diesel), which is about to be sold. The 16-year-old is fixing up a 1982 Ford Econoline. We are blessed with a 2002 Prius. Since we are the parents of many children, we have gone through many cars, too, and are able to share with them when they need us to do so. We are, however, advocates of carpooling, public transportation (we have buses and ferries in our neck of the woods), cycling, and the old standby, walking, and do these frequently.


All in all, the simpler life that we have created serves us well. I look forward to many years of acquiring more skills and fewer things. It is interesting to see and predict just how this lifestyle will come out later in our children.

No comments: